The exquisite Aranmula Mirror or “Aranmula Kannadi” is a very special type of metal mirror produced only in Aranmula, a village in the state of Kerala in India. Aranmula metal mirror is a precious inherited gift. The mystery of its production is a family gift handed over through generations. Indeed, the ancient art of making metal mirrors is still practiced, without modification, by a few family-based artisans in Aranmula (One being Thikkinampallil family). The manufacture of Aranmula Kannadi has been a zealously guarded secret of a handful of these surviving artisans.
Aranmula metal mirror is a rare piece of craft that had existed even during the Vedic period of Indian history. The myth about the origin and secret of its composition makes it a truly fascinating craft. As traditional as the mirror-making technology is, the artisans’ belief that the composition of the metal mirror is divine and some undisclosed metals alloyed with silver, bronze, copper and tin are responsible for the distortion-free images.
- Extra ordinary traditional hand made metal mirror, is Famous for bringing prosperity, luck and wealth in to life
- Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi is famous for its secretive construction method and uniqueness in the make which get Patent protected with a Geographical Indication tag
- It is the only metal mirror available, Unlike Ordinary Glass mirror , Image from Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi is reflected from upper surface of reflecting material , where in Glass mirror image reflected from bottom layer where mercury is pasted . So real image is only captured in the Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi.
- Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi is one among 8 auspicious items included famous astamagalaya set ,which usually used for very auspicious function like marriage
- Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi is impossible to make a duplicated Item, because of its lesser Price, and its make details only known to few people in one family belong to Aranmula and it is kept as a family secret
- Mysteries in its creation, unequalled in its beauty, the Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi is a unique object.
- Exclusive to Aranmula this mirror is made of metal, not glass! There in lies its uniqueness and its creation a closely guarded secret. Known to only four families, has been handed down from father to son for generations. Therein lies its mystery
- Aranmula is a little village in the district of Pathanamthitta, which is well known for its ancient temple dedicated to Lord Sree Krishna as Parthasarathy,the colorful snake boat Regatta and the Aranmula Mirror / Aranmula Kannadi.
- The British Museum in London has a 45 centimeter tall Aranmula metal mirror in its collection